What is the School Improvement Team?
School Improvement Teams are required by North Carolina law to develop school improvement plans. The team is comprised of the principal of each school, instructional personnel, instructional support personnel, teacher assistants assigned to the school building, and parents of children enrolled in the school. The representatives are elected by their respective groups (such as the PTA/PTO for parents).
The General Assembly of North Carolina views parental involvement as a critical component of school success and positive student achievement. It is the intent of NC that parents, along with teachers, have a substantial role in developing school improvement plans.
When does the School Improvement Team meet and can I attend the meeting?
School Improvement Teams are considered a public body and are subject to open meeting laws. Staff, parents and community members are always welcome to attend and observe the meetings.
How do I communicate a suggestion for school improvement to the group?
You may communicate directly with an individual on the team or send a request to the entire committee.
School Improvement Plan
NCStar is currently being used by Lenoir County Public Schools for the School Improvement Plan process. You may access the Southwood Elementary School Improvement Plan for 2016-2017 at www.indistar.org using the following log-in information:
- Username – GuestS16650
- Password – GuestS16650
If you would like additional information concerning the school improvement process, please contact Michelle Hill at 252-527-9081.
SIT Meeting Dates And Times
Meetings are held in the Southwood Elementary School Media Center or Room 119 from 3:15 – 4:30pm (unless an alternative time noted) on the following dates:
- 08/21/2016 (SIT Team/Media)
- 09/20/2016 (SIT Team/Room 119)
- 09/21/2016 (Sub-committees)
- 10/05/2016 (SIT Team/Media)
- 10/20/2016 ((SIT Team/Media)
- 11/02/2016 (SIT Team/Media)
- 11/02/2016 (Support SIT Meeting/Room 119)
- 11/09/2016 (NCSTAR Training/TMS)
- 11/16/2016 (Sub-committees)
- 11/17/2016 (SIT Team/Room 119)
- 12/13/2016 (SIT Team/Media)
- 01/04/2017 (SIT Team/Media)
- 01/18/2017 (SIT Team/Room 119)
- 01/25/2017 (Sub-committees)
- 02/01/2017 (SIT Team/Media)
- 02/15/2017 (SIT Team/Room 119)
- 02/22/2017 (Sub-committees)
- 03/01/2017 (SIT Team/Media)
- 03/15/2017 (SIT Team/Room 119)
- 03/22/2017 (Sub-committees)
- 04/05/2017 (SIT Team/Media)
- 04/11/2017 (SIT Team/Room 119)
- 04/26/2017 (Sub-committees)
- 05/03/2017 (SIT Team/Media)
- 05/17/2017 (SIT Team/Room 119)
- 05/24/2017 (Sub-committees)
- 06/07/2017 (SIT Team/Media)
- 06/21/2016 (SIT Team/Summer Planning/Media/9:00 AM